Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe Giorgianni Joe Giorgianni is offline

Default Did Mateus change its formula?

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message

> Earlier in the week, to illustrate a couple of points, I took some
> Mateus Rose to my wine class.
>
> I have not tried the stuff in probably more than 25 years, but I
> remembered it fondly, as it was the product that piqued my interest in
> wine.
>
> I recall (using the terminology I later learned) it being a light
> fruity and fairly well-balanced wine. Nothing to right home about,
> but quite acceptable.
>
> We tasted blindly--and even poured the Mateus into an empty bottle so
> that the bottle shape would not clue the students.
>
> To my surprise, the stuff was too sweet, in effect no different from a
> White Zinfandel.
>
> Just wondering whether my romanticized impression of the old Mateus
> was correct or whether Mateus changed its formula along to the way to
> appeal to the White Zinfandel crowd.

That was one of the first "good" wines I drank and probably 25 years ago,
too. I don't remember it as being like a White Zinfandel at all.

I then graduated to Pouilly Fuisse although the $6 or so was way beyond my
means.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

http://www.myspace.com/thewho_org