Posted to nyc.food,rec.food.restaurants,alt.fan.miss-manners,misc.consumers,sci.econ
Gordon Burditt Gordon Burditt is offline

Default Fee for Sharing???

>> Fees and surcharges above and beyond the menu price are bogus.
>
>I have a friend who won't eat anywhere that doesn't include tax in the
>price and he fusses a lot if the prices aren't all rounded to the
>nearest quarter.

Rounded *UP* to the nearest quarter? You know that's what will
happen, don't you?

>Quick business lesson: do you know why MOST places charge prices that
>end in .95? Because that gimmick works. Oh sure, you & I and everyone
>else all think we're smart enough to recognize that $12.95 = $13.00 --
>in fact, we even look at $12.95 and *SAY* "thirteen dollars"! -- but the

No, I look at $12.95 and say "fifteen dollars less some change
including the sales tax". Or, if it's a restaurant meal, more
including sales tax (if applicable) and tip.

>fact of the matter is, a lot of people -- MOST people! -- would pay
>$12.95 for something and think it a fair price but would NOT pay $13.00
>for the same item, claiming it was over-priced as their #1 reason.

Gordon L. Burditt