Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog Anders Tørneskog is offline

Default Riesling, was Grenache

"Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg" > skrev i melding
>I do recall at the height of the white zin craze, a customer said he heard
> about a white riesling---I showed him a nice kabinett with riesling in its
> title but he said he only wanted a "white" riesling & didn't believe me
> when
> I said all rieslings were white---I called the store owner over because
> the
> man was in a tirade about my attempts to deceive him. The owner went to
> the
> back & found a bottle of white riesling from Stags Leap which was a gift
> from the Winiarki's. The customer glaring at me accepted it. About two
> weeks later the customer was back and wanted to shake my hand---seems he
> went to a class or tasting on German wine and the leader confirmed that
> indeed I had showed him the real thing, he also was told some
> complimentary
> things about me as one of the few people in MD who understood the German
> nomenclature............

Great! :-)

In fact, White Riesling is a name for the 'real' Riesling, like Weisser
Riesling in Austria, and Riesling Bianco in Italy (afaik).
On the other hand there is the 'Black Riesling' (Schwarzer Riesling) and
even 'Red Riesling' (Roter Riesling) - both are dark skinned mutations of
White Riesling (and give white wine).
Adding to the confusion, there is also a Schwarzriesling ('Blackriesling') a
local name (German, mainly in Wuertemberg) for the red Pinot Meunier grape!

:-) Anders