Posted to alt.food.wine
st.helier[_1_] st.helier[_1_] is offline

Default Grenache

"JR" wrote .......
> OK...I recall, a few years ago, a "white grenache" in ads...So, the recent
> "while merlot" posts, along with my recollection of how horrible the
> "white zinfandel" tastes to me, and the recent "shiraz-grenache" blend
> discussion makes me wonder...
>
> Is Grenache usually a grape used for red wine?

Jeff, broadly speaking, white wine can me made from "most" red grapes - it
is the prolonged contact with the skin during the fermentation process which
extracts the pigments from the grape skins which impart the colour to red
wine.

Champagne is the opt quoted example - Pinot Noir (red) is one of the
approved varieties used in Champagne.

The grapes are harvested and pressed - with the skins immediately
separated - thus very little or no colour goes into the juice prior to
fermentation.

Thus, white merlot; white cabernet; white grenache etc are possible.

--

st.helier