> : The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm
> :
> snip
>
> Google is your friend!
>
> Frenchy
>

I think what Frenchy meant to say was, "No".
Good information, I always wondered what the differences were, but
never took the time to check. Thanks, Frenchy.
> >>

>
> Both baking powder and baking soda are chemical leavening agents that cause
> batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already
> present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients. When a recipe
> contains baking powder and baking soda, the baking powder does most of the
> leavening. The baking soda is added to neutralize the acids in the recipe plus to
> add tenderness and some leavening. When using baking powder or baking soda in a
> recipe, make sure to sift or whisk with the other dry ingredients before adding to
> the batter to ensure uniformity. Otherwise the baked good can have large holes.
> Baking powder consists of baking soda, one or more acid salts (cream of tartar and
> sodium aluminum sulfate) plus cornstarch to absorb any moisture so a reaction does
> not take place until a liquid is added to the batter. Most baking powder used
> today is double-acting which means it reacts to liquid and heat and happens in two
> stages. The first reaction takes place when you add the baking powder to the
> batter and it is moistened. One of the acid salts reacts with the baking soda and
> produces carbon dioxide gas. The second reaction takes place when the batter is
> placed in the oven. The gas cells expand causing the batter to rise. Because of
> the two stages, baking of the batter can be delayed for about 15-20 minutes
> without it losing its leavening power.
> Too much baking powder can cause the batter to be bitter tasting. It can also
> cause the batter to rise rapidly and then collapse. (i.e. The air bubbles in the
> batter grow too large and break causing the batter to fall.) Cakes will have a
> coarse, fragile crumb with a fallen center. Too little baking powder results in a
> tough cake that has poor volume and a compact crumb.
> Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate or bicarbonate of soda (alkali) is
> about four times as strong as baking powder. It is used in recipes that contain
> an acidic ingredient (e.g. vinegar, citrus juice, sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk,
> chocolate, cocoa (not Dutch-processed), honey, molasses (also brown sugar), fruits
> and maple syrup). Baking soda starts to react and release carbon dioxide gas as
> soon as it is added to the batter and moistened. Make sure to bake the batter
> immediately.
> Baking soda has an indefinite shelf life if stored in a sealed container in a cool
> dry place. Too much baking soda will result in a soapy taste with a coarse, open
> crumb. Baking soda causes reddening of cocoa powder when baked, hence the name
> Devil's Food Cake.