Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Cat-Tea Corner Cat-Tea Corner is offline

Default replacement for butter on cabbage

The tastiest and butteriest IMNSHO is Soy Garden by Earth Balance. It
actually melts, too, unlike many soy dairy products. I use it all the
time on potatoes, vegetables, a slice of bread, and not one dairy eater
has yet realized it's not butter. See
http://www.earthbalance.net/product.html#p4 for more details.

Some other tasty, more healthful, but definitely high-fat alternatives
to season veggies etc.:

-- Use the oil from sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. If you put it in
the 'fridge it will solidify somewhat. Or whirl some of the oil with
one or two of the tomatoes for a really rich treat.

-- Whirl extra virgin olive oil with a few black olives for a rich
topping/dip.

-- Toasted sesame oil and a sprinkling of gomasio (sesame salt).

-- Or just use a very high-quality, fruity, and tasty extra virgin
olive oil with seasonings.

Less fatty but it's a do-it-yourselfer:

-- This classic East European garlic sauce is *excellent* on cabbage
and other veggies, but don't serve it to a hot date ;-):
http://www.catteacorner.com/vegan-f.htm#mujdei

For more recipes see our vegan recipe collection at The Cat-Tea Corner
www.catteacorner.com

# # # #