Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Joe[_3_] Joe[_3_] is offline

Default Rec: Poached Salmon

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> "Scowcroft" > wrote in
> :
>
>> An alternative preparation for salmon is as follows.
>>
>> Place salmon, fillet or steak, on a large sheet of foil. Pour over
>> some liquid (amount not critical, you are aiming to steam the fish
>> not give it post mortal swimming lessons), a dry white wine would be
>> excellent. Add fresh herbs of your choice - Parsley or tarragon
>> perhaps. Add some spring onions (scallions for those of you on the
>> left hand side of the Atlantic) and season well.
>>
>> Fold the foil up and seal the fish in. Leave enough space in the
>> parcel for the liquid to steam.
>>
>> Place parcel on the top shelf of your dish washer and run it at a
>> normal heat setting. Perhaps best not to add detergent!!
>>
>> Result - one perfectly steamed salmon.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> Sounds like a way to use a lot of water and heat. A normal wash cycle
> for my dishwasher uses 8.6 gallons of water and takes 94 minute to run.
> A "light wash" takes 7.0 gallons and runs 94 minutes and a "rinse and
> hold" uses 4.3 gallons and runs 12 minutes. I don't have the energy
> sheet showing how many kwh the washer uses. Not to mention the use of
> the aluminum foil, which uses a *lot* of energy to produce. I avoid
> using foil, although I do have a roll in the drawer. It'll probably
> last me a few years at the amount of foil I use!
>
> Now let's see... how long would it take to cook the fish in a steamer?
> 3 minutes and 2 cups of water.....
>
> It sounds a lot cheaper and environmentally sensitive, not to mention
> quicker, to just poach or steam the fish in the normal manner.
>
> Sherry

I'm sure your way faster & more the norm. I think the point of it was to
show people how easy fish can be to cook. Generally, people like try to find
new & creative ways to cook(which I'm all for). I just did a smoked fish the
way Alton Brown does it on "Good Eats", using a cardboard box, wooden dowels
& saw dust, it was a riot(fun). I'm sure my smoker would have done it well,
this was just more fun.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show...245800,00.html
Remember: if you do the same old thing, the same old way, you get the same
old results.

BTW: The smoked fish is excellent and their way almost no cleanup. lol
--
Joe W.
T2 Nov '05