Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Sherry Sherry is offline

Default Rec: Poached Salmon

"Scowcroft" > wrote in
:

> An alternative preparation for salmon is as follows.
>
> Place salmon, fillet or steak, on a large sheet of foil. Pour over
> some liquid (amount not critical, you are aiming to steam the fish
> not give it post mortal swimming lessons), a dry white wine would be
> excellent. Add fresh herbs of your choice - Parsley or tarragon
> perhaps. Add some spring onions (scallions for those of you on the
> left hand side of the Atlantic) and season well.
>
> Fold the foil up and seal the fish in. Leave enough space in the
> parcel for the liquid to steam.
>
> Place parcel on the top shelf of your dish washer and run it at a
> normal heat setting. Perhaps best not to add detergent!!
>
> Result - one perfectly steamed salmon.
>
> Brian

Sounds like a way to use a lot of water and heat. A normal wash cycle
for my dishwasher uses 8.6 gallons of water and takes 94 minute to run.
A "light wash" takes 7.0 gallons and runs 94 minutes and a "rinse and
hold" uses 4.3 gallons and runs 12 minutes. I don't have the energy
sheet showing how many kwh the washer uses. Not to mention the use of
the aluminum foil, which uses a *lot* of energy to produce. I avoid
using foil, although I do have a roll in the drawer. It'll probably
last me a few years at the amount of foil I use!

Now let's see... how long would it take to cook the fish in a steamer?
3 minutes and 2 cups of water.....

It sounds a lot cheaper and environmentally sensitive, not to mention
quicker, to just poach or steam the fish in the normal manner.

Sherry