Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg is offline

Default Great Article on Italian Wine

Both the elderly Dessilani & Vallana passed in the mid 80's--Nephew making
wine @ Dessilani. Guy Fogarty, English son in law winemaker @
Vallana---Prior to 1967 when DOC rules were in effect---both wineries used
grapes from the South to lend some heft to Gattinara, Ghemme & Spanna.

Antoniolo & Traviglini make good Gattinara.
Anjelo Gaja purchased the winery, Le Colline, which was excellent. I know
Le Colline owned some vineyards near Gaja, I'm sure Gaja has integrated the
Barbaresco into his bottlings---Don't know what he did with Gattinara
vineyards.

Most wine drinkers who like the weight & tannins of Barolo/Barbaresco, find
wines of Novara-Vercelli(Gattinara etc) too light. Both the Wine Advocate &
Wine Spectator are not champions of Gattinara. English writers more
receptive.

ups.com...