Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Reduction ad absurdum

wrote:
> For the life of me I cannot reduce a sauce within the time a recipe
> suggests. Any recipe. Never. I know a healthy simmer, but it just
> doesn't cut it. Last night 4 1/2 cups made it down to 4 in 15 minutes.
> The recipe suggested it should be 2 1/2 cups. Another 10 minutes got
> it down to 3 cups where I just quit. Do recipes really mean boil when
> they say simmer?

I think most recipes just say, "reduce," and for me it's a boil unless
there's milk involved. Cream is no problem to boil. It's no big deal
if it takes you longer, once you've learned that and adjusted your meal
timing for it. The main thing is to get the sauce to the taste and
mouthfeel that you're looking for. Just keep tasting and testing.
-aem