Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Zatarain's Dirty Rice

Yes, tonight I'm preparing dinner from a boxed mix. Zatarain's Dirty Rice.
Not as a side, just for dinner.

Now, I normally would prepare this as a side using a recipe given to me by a
former co-worker, Mz. Cloutier from Houma, Louisana. But I suspect she just
adapted it from Paul Prudhomme's recipe, which I've prepared in the past
(excellent!). But that serves about 10 people. I'm one people

At any rate, I have no chicken gizzards or livers to grind up to add to this
so I'm just using ground beef. I'll tart up the mixture with chicken stock
rather than water; I'll add some diced green bell pepper, onion and garlic
and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. Alas, I have no celery. I'll taste it
and add some hot sauce and maybe even ground sassafrass leaves (file powder)
after the rice cooks. File is a thickener as well as a seasoning. This is
one quick cooking boxed meal which I adore. And as I said, I eat this as a
meal, over a period of a several days or I can freeze the leftovers. For
those of you who don't know, cooked rice freezes very well.

Jill