Posted to rec.food.restaurants
Garry Owen Garry Owen is offline

Default Need New Orleans Restaurant recommendations

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:15:57 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Garry Owen > wrote:
>
>>As of mid March, Mandina's was far from reopening. The French
>>Quarter, Garden District, and upper Carroliton, near the river, are
>>pretty much back.

>>The area around Mandina's, Mid City, had 5ft of water so nothing is
>>basically back there. I'm originally from the Mid City area and still
>>have family there. Or what is left of the area. You can go blocks
>>without seeing a living soul to this day.

>TripAdvisor suggets Jacques Imo (8324 Oak Street) is back operating.
>If so they'd be a good place to check out, outside the French
>Quarter. I'll call to make sure though.
>
>Steve

Good choice.

Don't know if it is open but Manales at 1838 Napoleon Ave,
(504) 895-4877 is a little closer to the FC, if you use that as a
starting point, and their BBQ Shrimp is to die for.

In the Quarter give the Coffee Pot on St. Peter a try. Not your grand
food but good down home New Orleans food.

My favorite restaurant has always been the Bon Ton on Magazine about 4
or 5 blocks up from Canal St/Quarter. Don't know if the water got up
there but give them a call. The beauty of the place is that more of a
restaurant where the locals will go for a good night out. Most of the
food is old line Cajun (country food, pot/kettle cooked food) and
Creole (city food).