Siobhan Perricone

Default Fancy restaurants

As a sort of a break from things, we've been eating out a fair amount this
last week. Our anniversary was last Monday, and we just took the weekend
"off". It has seemed to me that the meals we had were decent. Certainly
not bad, but, well, one place had mashed potatoes that really needed help.
How can they justify charging me $25 for an entree that has completely
uninteresting mashed potatoes? Ok, maybe they were trying to recreate some
British thing (the place we had this at bills itself as high end British
fare).

Maybe that's what it was. These were British mashed potatoes. But they
*really* needed some butter, maybe a bit of cream. They were sooooo bland.
I've never bought the idea that British food is bland. The individual beef
wellington I had was wonderful, maybe that's what I was paying $25 for, but
I was just disappointed that everything wasn't spectacular. My husband
didn't care for his sausages and mash. Again, bland mashed tatties, and
the sausages were too herby. Not gristley or anything, just not a flavour
he appreciated. Though, honestly, they were probably good sausages, just
not to his taste. We had lovely carmelized pirogies with a balsamic sauce
as appetizers, but the hoison sauce on the wild boars ribs was, eh... the
ribs themselves were just eh. The onion soup was actually disappointing.
For what I paid for it, I expected a LOT more cheese on it. I get more
cheese on onion soup at the family restaurants around here.

Maybe I'm just a visigoth and I can't appreciate the foods properly.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Ok, I know a whole generation has been raised on a notion of