Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\ Mike \Piedmont\ is offline

Default Cherry coal producing factoid

George B. Ross wrote:
I received a truckload of cherry wood from a friend last fall
(cut and split, he is a great guy!) and decided to use some this
past weekend. I've used cherry before for flavor, mixing in oak
for and lump for heat, but this is the first time I decided to
use cherry and lump only. It was a real struggle to keep the
Klose up to temp with just cherry logs. I was feeding a log
into to the fire chamber every 30 minutes, twice as often as
with oak or hickory.

I will continue to use cherry for flavoring, but will supliment
it with oak or hickory for heat.

FWIW

Hey George! Still living in Granger? Cherry isn't nearly as dense as oak
or hickory so it will burn up quicker. As far as flavor goes, I never
did find cherry by itself to be pleasant but when I mixed it with oak it
was a very good combo.

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"