Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default What to do with London Broil?

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "Vanguard" > wrote
>
>> The fancy name belies the quality of the cut. A non-description
>> "london broil" sounds better and sells more than if it were labelled
>> "flank steak". When users decided they didn't want MSG in their food
>> or had a preference that it wasn't there, the commercial producers
>> then gave it something like 28 names so they could hide that it was
>> being used because no consumer would know or remember all those
>> names. Flank steak doesn't have the appeal to the casual shopper as
>> does london broil.

> Flank steak sells quite well, what's packaged as londron broil
> around here, long as I remember, is top round or something like
> that. Most definitely not flank steak.
>
> nancy

In my old Gourmet cookbook volumes, london broil called for flank steak
and a simple homemakde French dressing marinade, the likes of which
doesn't represent today's French dressing one bit. One trick the recipe
imparted was to lightly score around the edges of the steak to reduce
curling while on the bbq or under the broiler to medium-rare, resting
then slicing as thin as possible at about 45 degrees.

Top-round is usually stamped London Broil here too. To which I diamond
scrore on both sides, soak it for two days in Stubbs beef marinade
turning daily and bbq-ing or broiling to medium-rare. Resting and slicing
same as flank.

Imho,

Andy
Plus mashed or baked potatoes and asparagus