Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Susan[_3_] Susan[_3_] is offline

Default Zucchini and potato hash browns?

x-no-rarchive: yes

Julie Bove wrote:
> Has anyone tried mixing these two? I frequently get zucchini in my organic
> produce box and the only thing that seems to go over well in this house is
> zucchini bread. I do add a bit of zucchini to soup if I happen to have it
> around. And when I made lasagna (no more because of the food allergies) I'd
> add it to that. Otherwise my husband and daughter don't really care for it.
> They do like hash browns though. I was wondering if this would work since
> they sort of shred like a potato and they can be deep fried. Then again,
> they might not like the has browns because of the green bits in them. It
> was just a thought. Would be one way of making hash browns less carby. And
> yes, I know I could just try this myself but I was curious to know of anyone
> else has tried it and what the results were. I read somewhere about a
> person who always added carrots to their mashed potatoes. I did try that
> one and can't say that I cared for it.

Julie, every time I've seen someone post about trying this, they ended
up with a soggy mess due to the water content of the zucchini. OTOH, if
you shred it, then squeeze it in cheesecloth, it works better, by some
reports.

For me, even a smidge of white potato is a big prob, so I haven't tried it.

Susan