Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JD[_1_] JD[_1_] is offline

Default Need help with smokers

sithdad wrote:

>I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I am not
>sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen the box
>types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55 gal. drum
>lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg shapes). I
>guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of
>each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts, whole
>turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon. Thanks.

If this is your first smoker, get a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). It's
forgiving, yet capable of yeilding world class results. The only reason
to get something bigger is if you regularly plan to cook more than the
WSM's capacity and even then some folks just buy multiple WSM's. The
added bonus is the WSM website ( http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ )
which is an excellent resouce.

JD