Posted to alt.food.barbecue
BOB[_1_] BOB[_1_] is offline

Default Need help with smokers

sithdad wrote:
:: I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I
am not
:: sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen
the box
:: types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55
gal. drum
:: lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg
shapes). I
:: guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and
cons of
:: each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts,
whole
:: turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon.
Thanks.

It pretty much depends on your price range.

Here's what I have on my patio:
www.stumpssmokers.com
I have the GF 222 CM. Used mostly for larger volume smoking. It's an
offset smoker with vertical racks. Not for high temperature grilling.
It's also a great smoker for BBQ competitions.
www.kamado.com
I have a #1, two #3s and a #5. Nice smokers, but kind of limited in
volume compared to the offsets and verticals. Great also for searing
steaks @ 700 to 800+° F and also high temp pizza cooking. Versatile
but heavy. The heaviness helps hold in the heat.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List