Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Samartha Deva[_1_] Samartha Deva[_1_] is offline

Default Mixer Recommendation

Hello Diane,

I started with a Kitchen Aid mixer but then got a Magic Mill mixer (It's
from Electrolux and is now called "Assistant").

The Kitchenaid is a planetary mixer which drives it's dough hook through
the dough in a stationary bowl and needs a lot of power to do that.

My Kitchenaid started to smoke as well. There is a table of flour
weights dependent on hydration for making bread in the manual for the
Kitchenaid and if one goes over the amounts, the machine gets
overloaded. I think that Kitchenaid mixers can be good for making
smaller amounts of bread dough.

The Magic Mill (and others) spin the bowl and the friction between bowl
and dough moves the dough around a dough hook.

This requires much less power and when comparing the Kitchenaid and
Magic Mill, the Magic Mill is much smoother on the dough, does more
stretching/pressing whereas the Kitchenaid cuts with it's dough hook
through the dough.

With the Magic Mill, I can mix 3500 - 4000 g dough, something which
could never be achieve with the Kitchenaid I had - I think it was a 600
W mixer.

Another comparative Mixer I know about would be the Bosch, but this
mixer hat a stud in the middle of the bowl which I did not like.

There are other, more heavy duty mixers, like spiral mixers for small
lab quantities - but they are much more expensive (I think, over $ 1000,-).

Samartha

With your tennis elbow - I had one and it got healed. You can email me
by removing the "-nospam" from the above email, maybe I can tell you a
few things.