Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell Dave Bell is offline

Default I am not an experienced cook.

LadyJane wrote:
> Curries = expense.
> In order to make good/great curry you will need best quality spices,
> which (sadly) do not come cheap! (least not here in Australia!)

I buy mixed, powdered "curry" spices at local Asian markets, here in the
US.I don't get the control I would by blending them from scratch, but
they are inexpensive, and I can find a variety of blends, without buying
a dozen or so indivicual spices.

> www.members.optusnet.com.au/hotmetal
> LadyJane

Some of these recipes look very good! I'll have to work my way through
them...
A couple of the desserts specify a "packet of suet".
How much is in 1 packet?
Is your suet the same, solid, white animal fat (beef?) that we can
sometimes find? Would an equal amount of lard work as well, given that
lard is considerably softer than the suet I remember?

Dave