Posted to rec.food.recipes
TJ[_1_] TJ[_1_] is offline

Default Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry

This came from Jackie Passmore's Fire and Spice. I doubled the recipe,
but did very little switcharoos. I found it really undeveloped the first
day, but day 2 and 3 have been delicious. I've been eating it with
Jasmine rice. Considering it's eggplant, there is little oil in the
dish. I bet a bit of coconut creme would richen it up.

Sri Lankan Eggplant

1 1/2 lbs eggplant, cut into rounds, salted, drained, squeezed and wiped
dry
3 Tbsp ghee
2 large onions sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin (I used 3 X this and dry toasted it first, crushing
only lightly)
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 teas. garam masala
1/2 tsp mace, ground
8 curry leaves, or a big bay leaf
3 ripe tomatoes, quartered
2 minced serrano chilis and a couple of mild chilis (I used
minced bell pepper)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp tamarind concentrate
plenty of pepper, and salt if you like.

On high, brown eggplant (with half the ghee) in a nonstick pan, turn out
the eggplant, add the rest of the ghee and cook onions until browned. Add
garlic and ginger, stir for a minute or so and add coriander, cumin,
turmeric, garam masala mace and curry leaves, or a big bay leaf Stir a
bit, add tomatoes, quartered, minced serrano chilis and mild chilis Add
water, sugar, tamarind concentrate plenty of pepper, and salt if you like.
Let this simmer on low until the eggplant and tomato is cooked through. tj

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: