Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sarah[_1_] Sarah[_1_] is offline

Default How to make decadent fudge?

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> The fudge you buy at the specialty candy stores is always so much
> more sweet and rich than anything I've been able to duplicate at
> home. What's the secret(s)?
>
> I've tried heavy cream, light cream, evaporated milk, butter, etc,
> but have never been able to make a really good, commercial quality
> fudge. I just made some chocolate peanut butter fudge
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._18189,00.html
> using heavy cream instead of milk (was out of milk), and while
> it's fairly passable, it's not quite 100%.
>
> I should have used 1/4 brown sugar and 3/4 regular for this
> recipe, but that wasn't the whole problem, I'm sure. I'm not fond
> of brown sugar as I think it's kinda heavy tasting in most
> candy-making.
>
> -sw

This is a great UK version of fudge, we don't have chocolate in ours unless
it is chocolate fudge! (taken from UKTV food web site)
Clodagh McKenna's easy-to-make creamy vanilla fudge makes a treat to tempt a
sweet tooth at anytime

Servings: makes 36-48 squares
Level of difficulty: Easy
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
100ml Milk
100ml double cream
350g caster sugar
80g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. Lightly butter a shallow baking dish.

2. Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan, add the sugar and
butter and bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat.

3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring continuously, until
the mixture registers 115C on a sugar thermometer (this is called the soft
ball stage).

4. Stir in the vanilla extract; remove from the heat and leave to cool.

5. Beat the mixture with a whisk until thick, before pouring into the
prepared dish to set. Cut into squares to serve.

Sarah