Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Different Brand Oatmeal Flakes

"Lefty" > wrote in message
> The Irish ones look a little more like flakes. I have noticed differences
> in
> cooking times between different brands and batches of rolled oats.
>
> I like mine chewy so I MW water to boiling then add oats for a 2 1/2
> minute
> MW cook (add chopped walnuts, sugar, milk to eat.) Sometimes it only takes
> little over 2 minutes for the same result with a restaurant-supply brand I
> buy.
> --
> Lefty
>
> Life is for learning
> The worst I ever had was wonderful
>

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> This is Old Wessex that I bought at Wegman's
>> http://tinypic.com/so0j0k.jpg
>> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>>
>> Here is a picture of the two compared in jars
>> http://tinypic.com/so0ih3.jpg
>> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>>
>> Here is a picture of the two compared outside of jars
>> You can't tell much difference on a piece of paper; but in the jar you
>> can
>> see that there is a lot of the Irish oats broken up, whereas the Scottish
>> flakes are pretty well intact.
>> Irish on the left; Scottish on the right
>> http://tinypic.com/so0i8i.jpg
>>
>> We had Irish yesterday and Scottish today.
>> As indicated by the pictures, the texture (with closely-copied cooking)
>> of
>> the Irish was mushey, and the Scottish retained the flakes.
>>
>> Was fun to do,
>> Dee Dee

Like mine chewy, too. Here's the way we do flakes.

Bring water to boil while adding dried blueberries, raspberries or
blueberries, seeds and/or nuts; when water boils add oat flakes (or
combination of barley, oats and rye) and turn off heat and let sit until
ready to eat.

Put in bowl yogurt or heated coconut milk, flax & wheat germ, ground
almonds, and the cookedcereal. I add honey to my bowl, DH doesn't.
That's breakfast! Easy and fast.

Same thing for steel cut, except we boil it for 10 minutes, after an
all-night soak.
Dee Dee