Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Ray Calvert Ray  Calvert is offline

Default Cherry Wine

As you are interested in a melomel you might post on the sister group:
rec.crafts.meadmaking

Supposedly, sour cherries are best if you can get them. Living in south
Texas cherries are not readily available but for about 2 weeks a year sweet
eating cherries drop down to about a $100 a pound. I have made several
batches of cherry wine (6-8 lbs per gallon) with these and they came out
great. They blend very nicely with a robust red grape wine. But when
making melomels I generally cut the fruit at least in half and sometimes
down to 20% of the fruit I would use in regular wine so the fruit does not
completely overpower the honey.

I would not use a real mild honey. Probably something with a little bite so
it can compete with the cherries, but nothing too dark. You do not want a
caramel taste.

Droopy's recommendation is a good one. Pick up a copy of Ken Schramm's
book. I like it because he give an excellent discussion of the character
and advantages of many different kinds of honey and he really covers
methodology rather than recipes.

Ray

ups.com...