jacqui{JB}

Default San Diego Restaurants

"Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
newsm59c.16934$QO2.16229@pd7tw1no...

> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego
> this summer, I wonder if any of you know any
> good restaurants around town.

Lessee ...

Breakfast (make a reservation at these places if you're going on the
weekend, unless you plan to show up when they open):
*Hob Nob Hill -- on First Avenue a couple of blocks south of Laurel --
especially the eggs benedict, and always select the coffee cake --
http://www.hobnobhill.com/
*Park House Eatery -- on Park Blvd a couple of blocks south of
Adams -- http://www.parkhouseeatery.com/
Cafe on Park -- on Park Blvd a couple of blocks south of University --
especially the hangtown (hangman? it's been a while) pancakes
(pancakes with chunks of cheddar and sliced fresh jalapeno with an egg
on top) -- http://www.sdpride.com/cafeonpark/index.html
Peet's Coffee -- on University at Fourth -- best coffee in San Diego,
imo -- http://www.peets.com/
Bread & Cie -- on University at Fourth -- best bakery in San Diego,
imo -- don't miss the pumpkin-walnut muffins or the cheddar-jalapeno
bread; the coffee is no slouch either, if you're not taking your
things to go -- very busy on weekends --
http://www.sdreader.com/php/rrshow.php3?id=BREADCIE

Very casual anytime:
La Posta Taco Shop (outdoor Mexican eatery) -- on Third at
Washington -- fabulous rolled tacos and open 24/7 --
http://entertainment.signonsandiego....file?id=167836
Phil's BBQ -- on Goldfinch near Washington -- without a doubt, the
best BBQ I've ever had -- call ahead, they're always busy --
http://www.philsbbq.com/philsbbq/

Dinner:
Red Fox Room -- on El Cajon Blvd a couple of blocks west of Texas --
interesting steak house and bar (despite the review, I don't know that
I'd classify it as a dive; it does have character, though) -- piano
bar, great steaks --
http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip.../bars/rfox.htm
Turf Club -- on 25th between C and Broadway -- now *this* is a dive
(although a safe one) -- grill your own steak, great bar, great fun --
http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/91329
Parallel 33 -- on Washington near Goldfinch -- eclectic little
restaurant with lovely food, inspired by places on or near the 33rd
parallel (San Diego, for instance) --
http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.ph...staurantReview
George's at the Cove -- in La Jolla -- very upscale, incredible
service, incredible food -- http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
Mille Fleurs -- in Rancho Santa Fe -- very upscale, incredible
service, incredible food -- http://www.millefleurs.com/

Drinks: Top of the Hyatt at Seaport Village -- on the 40th floor with
incredible views -- drinks are pricey, but it's worth it

A few of my favorites, anyway. Try to stay away from chain
restaurants -- there's *far* too much good food in San Diego to give
money ot the chains.

Damn, there are times I really miss my hometown.
-j