Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

jake wrote:
> I use plastic containers for one-person meals and have never had a
> problem with freezer burn. So you actually experience it?
>
> BTW, raw meat goes into freezer bags that I press the air out of. It
> never stays in freezer for more than a month. no freezer burn there, either.

Perfect, no one in the US needs two years worth of frozen meats, two
months worth tops is all that's necessary... it's not like there's a
shortage of food in the US... most any single stupidmarket in the US
contains more food than an entire third world country.

> I find freezing meals for more than one day unpractical, because it
> means I defrost the whole thing on day one and am still eating it a few
> days later. After defrosting, one ought to eat the most foods within 24
> hours. I think fats aren't as tricky, but I'm not sure.

I don't mind left overs, so I will prepare enough for 2-3 days and that
much again to freeze for another 2-3 days worth. Like yesterday I
prepared a huge pot of great northen bean soup; 3 pounds dried beans,
with onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and sesonings.. also a mess of
smoked ham hocks, filled a ten quart pot... was excellent for dinner
yesterday. But today on my travels I spotted fresh turnip greens on
sale (.99/lb, cleaned/bagged), tossed half of em into the pot today as
it was heating slowly... impressive. I also cook large quantities
because I will usually share with neighbors, etc., like tomorrow I'm
going to visit an elderly relative of a neighbor, she's in a nursing
home and I was told she will love my beans, so I have a quart container
in the fridge all ready to go. That's one of the things I enjoy
doing, visiting someone who can use the company and a home cooked
dish... conversations with the elderly is the best learning experience
there is, especially about food.

Sheldon