Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

Jude wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > You're confusing freezer burn for frost accumulation... with very rare
> > exceptions (eggs) cooked foods don't get freezer burn.

> My big problem as far as freezder burn seems to be bread and baked
> goods. I wrap em in Saran, then toss them into a Ziploc freezer bag,
> but they still seem to get that nasty whitish crust. What can you tell
> me about freezder burn on baked (obviously, that means cooked!) goods?

I freeze all sorts of baked goods, breads, cakes, cookies, etc.,
although I try not to to and not too much when I do... I don't really
like bread that's been frozen nor do I like wasting valuable freezer
space on bread, although frozen cakes and cookies taste fine, in fact
freezing improves anything chocolate, especially when eaten still
frozen. hehe I've never seen any freezer burn on baked goods and I
don't do any special wrapping, usually just what it came packaged in
from the store... if it's something I baked it's usually all eaten way
before it's left overs, but if it's a small amount a zip-loc works
fine.
I've seen frost accumulation occasionally but no freezer burn. Of
course I don't keep baked goods in my freezer more than like 4 months
at the most, usually less than 2 months... chocolate chip cookies and
chocolate brownies are lucky to last a week, two days is typical... in
fact I'll toss those into the freezer for just a few hours only because
they'll taste better that evening.. So for how many years do you
store cheapo white bread in your freezer?

Btw, regardless how fancily wrapped to protect from freezer burn the
texture of tender steaks will still be drastically compromised from
freezing (and I just know none of yoose can flash freeze at home), so
only a pinhead will stock up on expensive tender beef just because it's
a few pennies cheaper on sale only to toss it in their freezer.

And that's another reason why when I grind meat I'll plan to cook like
six big burgers all at once, or I'll do a meat loaf (meat loaf freezes
really well), because freezing raw ground meat really ruins it... I can
rewarm my cooked burgers without it losing its juicyness, but your
frozen crap lost all its juicyness during thawing... of course yoose
what only eat pre ground mystery meat have no way to know the
difference.

Actually a little freezer burn is no biggie, certainly not worth
investing hundreds of dollars into special equipment and all that time
and effort wrapping... just slice that spot off same like a bit of mold
from cheese. Much better to invest a buck on a freezer pen so you can
mark the date, and then don't save stuff so friggin' long.

Sheldon