Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~[_1_] ~patches~[_1_] is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

Jude wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>>I read somewhere to freeze it, then remove it from the container and
>>>put it in a baggy or something. But what would be the best way to wrap
>>>the blocks so that they stay airtight? Saran wrap? Wax paper?

>>That is one way. Put the block in a freezer bag, suck the air out with
>>a straw and seal.

>>A rule of thumb, anything that you freeze but wouldn't use the whole
>>amount at one time like strawberries, blueberries, corn, broccoli etc,
>>use ziploc freezer bags. Close until a drinking straw will just fit in
>>one corner. Suck the air out and seal the bag.
>>

> Ah, the old pot-smokers trick. I've never used a straw - back in
> college, I got quite adept at putting my lips to the corner of the
> baggie and sucking out all the air. I can create ziplocs that look
> almost as if they've been vacuum sealed with my suck!! Guests look at
> me kinda funny when they see me packaging up lefotvers fter dinner,
> though =)
>
> Never thought of using a straw. Musta been too stoned!!

LOL! I've never heard the method refered to as that. And I've never
smoked anything legal or illegal. I learned the straw trick years ago.
It's a little more sanitary then trying to suck the air out with your
mouth on the bag. Another trick for vacuum sealing ziploc bags is to
leave them sealed on the zipper end, slice the bottom end, then fill
with your food. Place on the vacuum sealer and seal.