Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~[_1_] ~patches~[_1_] is offline

Default Best way to freeze meals?

wrote:

> I've been making food in larger batches and freezing the meals in
> reusable containers. It's working okay for the most part, but it could
> use some improvement.
>
> How do you prevent freezerburn? I can't get all the air out of the
> container, so there is always a surface open to the air when it
> freezes.

Make sure you leave the correct amount of air space and no more. Air
removal is key so make sure you burp your containers. Put the lid on
then with one hand creating pressue in the centre lift one corner and
reseal.

> I read somewhere to freeze it, then remove it from the container and
> put it in a baggy or something. But what would be the best way to wrap
> the blocks so that they stay airtight? Saran wrap? Wax paper?

That is one way. Put the block in a freezer bag, suck the air out with
a straw and seal.

> I'm considering getting one of those food saver things? Is it cost
> effective for storing individual meal pouches? Or would the bags be
> spendy for a bunch of small stuff. Normally, they are are used for
> larger packages.

I have an off brand vacuum sealer that cost me about $20. The thing has
more than paid for itself. Meal pouches work too.

> Right now, I am using gladware/tupperware type containers, and I get
> 2-3 meals out of one container, so when I pick something, I have to eat
> it for 2-3 days. If I find a better way< i could do smaller, actual
> individual meals, and have a bit more variety as well as preventing the
> freezerburn.

Use smaller containers. Seriously, use ones that will give you 1 meal.

> For those of you who freeze meals, what containers and methods do you
> prefer?

Individual meals - ziploc containers, vacuum pouches
entrees - ziploc containers or foil trays depending on the amount
casseroles - foil trays
meal components - ziploc bags, vacuum bags
bulk meats - freezer paper
fish - dipped in water, froze then put into ziploc bags

A rule of thumb, anything that you freeze but wouldn't use the whole
amount at one time like strawberries, blueberries, corn, broccoli etc,
use ziploc freezer bags. Close until a drinking straw will just fit in
one corner. Suck the air out and seal the bag.