Posted to rec.food.baking
Mike Avery[_1_] Mike Avery[_1_] is offline

Default high altitude baking

On 27 Mar 2006 15:45:53 -0800, >
wrote:

> I just read my posted message. this is my first time and I realized I
> didn't ask for what I needed. I really need the recipie for a hot milk
> orange chiffon cake, and some suggestions for making it work at high
> altitudes. Duplicating the cake wouldn't be as good as being with my
> grandma again but it would be a nice memory.

I don't do many cakes, but I'd suggest looking in Maida Heatter's books, or
on-line. Rose's Cake Bible is another option, but her recipes tend to be
fussier than the results warrant.

As to high altitude adjustments, at 4,500 feet, I really wouldn't worry
about it. My wife used to live around 5,300 feet, we now live at 7,700
feet. She found no reason to adjust when she lived at 5,300 feet. At 7,700
feet, you need to adjust.

If you find recipes don't work, here are some starting points. Cut your
riser by around 25%. And an extra tablespoon or so of flour.

Have fun,
Mike