Posted to rec.food.equipment
pltrgyst[_1_] pltrgyst[_1_] is offline

Default "ceramic" knives?

On 24 Mar 2006 08:25:27 -0800, "Chef Dom" >
wrote:

>Asa chef and store owner who does a lot of research and testing, I
>would disagree with the last statement. Ceramic knives are amzing
>pieces and they are in a league of their own when it comes to blade
>retention and sharpness.

Agreed, except for the sharpness. They can be exceptionally sharp, but often are
not. I've seen Kyoceras brand new out of the box that were markedly less sharp
than others.

If you buy one, I'd recommend getting the lifetime free sharpening guarantee in
writing.

>.... I have been using ceramic knives for over 5
>years now and love them more than ever.

I have too, and I said YMMV. 8

>.... The are also meant to compliment your metal knives, not to
>replace them. You only need one or two, the most common size that you
>would use for general prep (vegetables, fruits, meats with no bones,
>etc.). The brand I sell is Kyocera, again in my opion they were one of
>the first companies to do them and they are the best product for the
>price. Most of my ceramic knives go 1-2 yrs without being sharpened.

Mine were Kyoceras too: the 6" black Ming Tsai, the 5" white chef's, and the
paring knife. I still have the latter two, in two large Wusthof blocks full of
Globals, Dicks, Wusthofs, and Dehillerins -- but the 5" doesn't get touched
often, the paring knife not at all.

Again, YMMV, different strokes, and all that.

-- Larry