Posted to rec.food.equipment
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Non-Stick Material; Safest

Chef Dom > wrote:
> That is a pretty general statement that is not really true. All
> nonstick coatings are generally different blends of similar chemicals.

That's pretty much the same thing that I said. PTFE is PTFE whether
the brand name is Teflon or something else.

> adhered to the pan. Also Teflon is a brand name made by DuPont. Not all
> nonstick coatings contain Teflon, the coating may be similar (using the

Yes, Teflon is a brand name. The others have other brand names,
but it's still mostly PTFE with some differences in admixtures.
From a safety standpoint that's the important point.

> result in a glowing RED hot pan. I still stand by my opinion that
> nonstick surfaces are safe as long as they are not peeling, chipping,
> cracking, badly scratched or blistering. Lastly cast iron is no the

And my point was that PTFE is so inert that even if you do ingest some
that has peeled off a pan it's not going to hurt you. It will be
gone the next day because it is not digestible. Overheating is
about the only way to make it dangerous, and yes, it takes a *lot*
of heat to do it.

> Enamel coated pans like Chantal (
> ) are naturally nonstick, not in the same ways as the traditional
> nonstick surfaces, but very close. Chantal is enameled inside and out

I've used enameled steel pans, and there is no way I would call them
non-stick, no more so than stainless steel. Just my opinion.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.