Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default Canning peppers in oil

Jer wrote:

> I just tried canning for the first time and I canned some pasta gravey
> and it went well all the lids sucked up tight. Then I tried some mixed
> peppers in oil. My question is after the lids sucked down and the jars
> cooled off the oil became cloudy. Is that normal?

Jer - A sealed lid do not a potable product make. Y'all didn't say what
your recipe was and which method you used, boiling water bath or pressure
canning. For the gravy, anyways. BWB for the "pasta gravy" (tomato sauce
base?) might be all right if the pH was 4.6 or below. Hard to tell without
testing or the recipe. pH test strips are available in scientific supply
stores or educational science type stores. Or a brewer's store.
Peppers in oil sounds like a recipe for disaster at the home level. Even
with pressure canning, you might not get the heat necessary to destroy
botulism germs which live everywhere. That combination of juicy peppers
(moisture) in anaerobic environment of oil & canning is downright
dangerous. Don't eat them, destroy as toxic waste, sterilize jars before
you use them again.
Check out our FAQ at http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
Edrena