Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Are we losing the art of cooking?

Donald Martinich wrote:
> Cooking 101: Add 1 Cup of Simplicity
> As Kitchen Skills Dwindle, Recipes Become Easy as Pie

[snip the article]

This article tries too hard to make something out of nothing. It's
hardly worth responding to except to correct the record. A few main
points:

* More complete directions in cookbooks doesn't mean today's readers
are dumber, it means today's writers are smarter. James Beard and
Julia Child demonstrated 40 and 50 years ago that careful directions
are more valuable than "add 2 eggs" or "bake until done."

* That more wives work outside the home doesn't mean jack as to
whether kids will learn about food and cooking at home. It may mean
there are more opportunities for the kids to learn from Dad as well as
Mom.

* That food companies get more ignorant and weird questions from
customers than ever before means they now have e-mail. If Fanny Farmer
had e-mail she'd have got just as many dumb questions.

* We're not talking rocket science here. Absolutely nothing is in
danger of being lost. Food and cooking are still interesting and those
who want to become proficient and to enjoy improving their skills and
knowledge have more resources available to do so than ever before.
-aem