Posted to alt.food.vegan
Beach Runner[_1_] Beach Runner[_1_] is offline

Default Atkins diet called dangerous in a study by The Lancelet

Fred wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>

>>Jeff Caird wrote:

says...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060317/...me/diet_atkins

>>>I, for one, tried a strict vegan diet for several months and
>>>as a result, gained 30 lbs. Never again. I then took it all
>>>off, plus a few, on a *modified* Atkins. It seems that there
>>>are different types: I am the type who can benefit from a high
>>>protein, moderate fat, low carb diet. I eat dark greens, and
>>>reds and yellows. I'm over 60 and in relatively good health.
>>>

>>Being vegan, we still have to watch sugars, excess fats, exercise. A lot
>>of folks are pastaerians.
>>

> Yes, of course you are right. Just because you are vegan, does not mean
> you have a healthy diet (although this is easily attainable), and maybe
> there are some seriously overweight vegans out there, I just haven't met
> one yet.

You haven't met my X wife. Interestingly, she eats very healthy,not to
excess, and part time teacher water aquatics, and the seniors that take
her class love her. She says, if I can it anyone can. She's a genius at
it. The only time she got thin was when she fasted.

If I don't do serious distance running and weight training, I'll gain
weight a few pounds a month. And I eat very well.

If you look at the literature, read Hirch, who in scholarly journals
wrote that the primary factor of adult obesity was the number of fat
cells as a child. Even people like myself that are statistical
outliers, still have all their fat cells, they are just empty, begging
to be filled. Unfortunately, I was a fat little kid:-(

I wish schools really did real exercise and nutrition with young
children... T baseball, TV and video games just doesn't cut it.