Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo The Bubbo is offline

Default Are we losing the art of cooking?

Curly Sue wrote:

> I'm not so much concerned about the loss of cooking skills due to
> women having other options, but instead the disregard for teaching
> good eating habits (nutrition) to children.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

case in point...
today in line at the grocery store, the woman in front of me was very very
large and she had two kids with her. Her cart was just packed full of
pre-packaged food, candy, treats, and other unhealthy items including 4 cases
of soda. It just made me crazy, I completely understand the occasional
indulgence but the legitimate healthy items were few and far between in that
cart, even the frozen vegetables came in their own cheese or butter sauces.

Of course, I could feel all self righteous at that moment because my cart was
full of things like okra, collard greens, plantains, fennel bulb,
spinach...and on and on. Of course the 15 pack of mac and cheese was already
at home in the pantry so it was a false self righteousness!

anyway, it just made me sad that those kids won't be taught proper eating,
just how to cook convenience and stuff it in.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com