Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue Curly Sue is offline

Default Are we losing the art of cooking?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 02:47:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

>"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:30:27 -0500, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>>>I haven't... and I'm disheartened by the article in The Post. :/
>>>Goomba

>> I'm not so much concerned about the loss of cooking skills due to
>> women having other options, but instead the disregard for teaching
>> good eating habits (nutrition) to children.

>Kids can learn good nutrition, and go outside the home to find it. But, to
>get it at home, it usually requires the ability and willingness to put some
>time into preparing decent food.

Eating habits are learned at home. Kids who are not impressed with
the importance of health at home are not going to seek it outside the
home.

One thing about cooking per se, is that it has become a hobby that
some people will learn because they like to do it rather than because
it's their function in life. Most of the people lamenting the loss of
cooking skills are talking about loss of cooking skills of women.
Apparently women many women today would rather get an education and
have a career than agonize over "dredging." Good for us. In
addition, there still are parents who need to work long and hard to
keep up and cooking is the least of their worries.

Sue(tm)