Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter Doug Kanter is offline

Default Are we losing the art of cooking?

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Old Mother Ashby wrote:
>> Donald Martinich wrote:
>>
>>> Cooking 101: Add 1 Cup of Simplicity
>>> As Kitchen Skills Dwindle, Recipes Become Easy as Pie
>>> By Candy Sagon
>>> Washington Post Staff Writer
>>> Saturday, March 18, 2006; A01
>>>

>> <snip article about loss of cooking skills>
>>
>> Haven't you been reading the Food Snob thread? GO AWAY!!!
>>
>> Christine

> I haven't... and I'm disheartened by the article in The Post. :/
> Goomba

There's a fabulous cookbook that's been around forever. It explains all the
terms described in the Washington Post article. Mention it here, and a
handful of insipid little ****s will belittle the book because it never was,
and still is not trendy. But, it takes the place of an important thing in
cooking: the passing down of knowledge from one generation to another. I'm
not sure why this continuum of knowledge has been interrupted, but I suspect
it's related to two-income households. There was a time when kids came home
from school and found someone cooking. And, not just cooking, but doing it
slowly and deliberately, in a way which might catch the attention of little
kids. (Forget teenagers). This type of thing was gone for a couple of
decades. It still is, in many households.