Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default Storing sour cream upside down prevents spoilage?

"Charles Quinn" > wrote in message
25.201...
> Abe > wrote in news:f12p12p3prga7utheql63e7blov78gedgf@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> Does storing plastic containers with sour cream or cottage cheese
>> upside down in the fridge really make it last longer?

> From http://ww3.komotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1454284
> How to make just about everything in the refrigerator stay fresh longer.
> After it is opened just store it upside down. I have tested this with
> Milk, Sour Cream, Dip, Applesauce, Jelly, Jam, Pickles, Peppers and more.
> If you can't store it upside down "milk for instance" store it on it's
> side just make sure that the liquid covers the cap. When storing anything
> upside down try to make sure that the contents sink to the "Top" to
> create a "seal". The reason this works is bacteria needs to "land" on
> food and needs air to grow. This method stops both.
>
> --
>
> Charles
> The significant problems we face cannot be solved
> at the same level of thinking we were at when we
> created them. Albert Einstein

Thanks, Charles,

Geez, I'm thinking maybe I should put these items that I always seem to have
to use up at the ending date into my vacuum packing containers -- but would
be a real PITA, I should add. The items I keep on hand and never seem to
get used up before they go bad:

heavy cream
ricotta
sour cream

I have added 'vacuum' lids to the huge (Costco) jars of kalamata olives and
I don't get the scum on them anymore (not that the scum will hurt you). I
add the vacuum lid to jam also. Not that my jam ever went bad -- tee hee.
I've added the vacuum lids to expensive tiny jars of chutneys, bruschetta's,
that type of thing before, too.

So -- you're saying that keeping the upside down keeps the air out from
BETWEEN the jar lid and the product will do trick. I see.

Re the hint:
"Frozen Goods: Put an ice chest with some ice in your car the next time you
go grocery shopping, and ask the bag boy to put all the cold & frozen items
together in the bags, so you can fit them in the ice chest for the ride
home, especially in hot weather. The food will keep much longer without
having been subjected to the heat, even for a few minutes. Ed Jackson, AL"

We always carry an ice check with ice blocks, no matter what the weather.
Traveling all day even in cold weather, it makes a fortified container for
soft goods and can be packed nicely with produce not to be smashed.

Dee Dee