Posted to rec.food.cooking
salgud salgud is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

sarah bennett wrote:
> D.Currie wrote:
> > We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to pay, I
> > needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She came back with a
> > five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry, no change." Grrr. Five
> > bucks was less than 15 percent, but even though she wasn't a spectacular
> > waitress, I didn't want to leave that little. We go to this place often, and
> > we've had this waitress before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent
> > and that bugged me. Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb
> > to understand that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of
> > me was thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
> > and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
> >
> > Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more annoyed than
> > when a server has come back with just big bills. The smart ones will usually
> > break at least one of the bills down so you've got a ten, a five, and
> > singles instead of a twenty, but sometimes they just come back with the
> > change in whatever form is easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked
> > someone to make change and had them say there was none.
> >
> > I did some waitressing when I was a teenager, and one of the things I
> > learned early was that you made sure the customer had good change to leave a
> > tip.
> >
> > In this case, DH went to the cash register and got change. Didn't seem to be
> > a shortage there. Next time we go there, I'll make sure I've got the right
> > change for tipping.
> >

> If I was told there was no change available, and then found out there
> *was* change available, I wouldn't leave anything. Lying does not
> constitute good service.
>
> --
>
> saerah
>
> http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/
>
> email:
> anisaerah at s b c global.net
>
> "Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
> disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
> -Baruch Spinoza
>
> "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
> what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
> and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
> is another theory which states that this has already happened."
> -Douglas Adams

In this situation, I'd have given her the 5. Any good waiter/waitress
knows to have change on hand.
OTH, I waited on table for a short time many years ago, at a Marie
Callendars. Service was a big thing there and we were NOT ALLOWED to
bring back a 10 and 5 ones unless specifically asked. It was considered
trolling for a tip. Never understood the policy myself, but that was
how it was.