Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Bad waitress tricks

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in
:

> "D.Currie" > wrote in message
>> We went out to dinner tonight to a local place. When it came time to
>> pay, I needed the waitress to make change so I could tip her. She
>> came back with a five and a ten, and muttered something about "sorry,
>> no change." Grrr. Five bucks was less than 15 percent, but even
>> though she wasn't a spectacular waitress, I didn't want to leave that
>> little. We go to this place often, and we've had this waitress
>> before. But the full $10 was more than 20 percent and that bugged me.
>> Half of me was thinking she was just a little too dumb to understand
>> that I needed the singles for the tip, but the other half of me was
>> thinking that she was pushing me to make the choice between the $5
>> and the $10 and figuring she'd get the better tip.
>>
>> Considering I specifically asked her to make change, I was more
>> annoyed than when a server has come back with just big bills. The
>> smart ones will usually break at least one of the bills down so
>> you've got a ten, a five, and singles instead of a twenty, but
>> sometimes they just come back with the change in whatever form is
>> easiest. But I don't think I've ever asked someone to make change and
>> had them say there was none.
>>
>> Donna

Donna,

In that instance after paying and getting back the change, I would have
handed her the $5 directly and say "Thank you but talk to the chef, the
food tasted metallic."

Psychologically let it be a matter she can wrongfully take out on the
chef after you leave. No hard feelings between you and the waitress.

Imho,

Andy