Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
gene gene is offline

Default Wine Kits and Wine Quality?

Droopy wrote:

> gene wrote:
>
>>ahhhhh... I follow your thought now... You are right on for during
>>crush. My brain presently stuck in racking time now.
>>The 'whole process only as strong as the last sanitizer' seems to assume
>>same bad bugs whole time. Are you sure that is correct assumption?
>>
>>Gene

> Well, the things that can infect your wine will be present in your
> winery microenvironment to begin with. The relative concentrations can
> change, like it has been established that you should not make vinegar
> in the same place that you make wine.....even if you have dedicated
> equipment.
>
> But say you have a carboy that has some contaminant microbe in it. You
> wash it out with fairly clean tap water. Then you nuke it with bleach.
> Then you rinse it out with sulfite and lets assume that it is not in
> the water. Then you make up your must, pitch yeast and stir it a
> couple time daily.
>
> Well whatever microbe was present in your microenvironment just got in
> to your wine. The only time I would ever worry about such strict
> sanitation is if it had becoma problem Liek a batch really got skanked
> up. Then I would pour the stuff down the toilet and bleach the crap
> out of teh carboy. Which is along the lines of what a winery would do.
> You can take action after you get an infection, but you cannot really
> prevent it from occuring by up front sanitation. You always get back
> to the fact that you are bringing in something that has the
> contaminating microbes on it. As long as your equipment is clean it
> will assuredly have less microbial contaminants on it when compared to
> the fruit. Especially if you use tap water, which has to be relatively
> clean.

Good points.

I'd not used iodophor myself before this time... so new experience for
me... I'd only done K-meta. Is cross-contamination so rapid that
re-inoculation guaranteed? I didn't think so if one keeps open top of
container covered right after sanitize. Dunno. Suppose a lot depends
on air circulation and general cleanliness of work area.

Gene