Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
gene gene is offline

Default Wine Kits and Wine Quality?

A friend uses an iodophor sanitizer, and I worked with him last week
while he used it to clean racking equipment and carboys. Was surprised
at how well it rinses (unlike bleach). Did thorough flush of wine
transfer tubing, and triple-rinsed everything else. The only thing he
doesn't sanitize with it is his oak barrels; used stronger potassium
metabilsulphite for them.

I was intitially concerned with getting 'corked' wine from TCA
(trichloroanisole) when using iodine sanitizer, but he's been doing this
5 years and no corked wine. His wines are VERY high quality. So, like
all things, YMMV, but good rinsing seems to control the risk adequately.

Gene