Posted to rec.food.drink
Tassilo v. Parseval Tassilo v. Parseval is offline

Default Is it bad to pre-mix Long Island Ice Teas?

Also sprach :

> We drink Long Island Ice Tea a lot. Is it bad to pre-mix the
> rum,tequila, gin, vodka, and tripple sec?

Such a pre-mix certainly wont go bad, even when stored for years.

> What about also including the sour mix in the pre-mix?

Where I come from, there is no sour mix involved. Instead, we use
freshly squeezed lemon juice without any addition of basic syrup. The
sweetness comes from the Cola (and to a small extent from the Triple
Sec).

> What if it sat for a few weeks?

Lemon juice (or sour mix for that matter and if you insist) should be as
fresh as possible. Also, the Long Island gets a thick fluffy crown
similar to a Fizz when shaked thoroughly enough. To me this is integral
part of this drink and this you wont get when pre-making anything.

> Including the sour mix would mean it would require refrigeration.

I'd even keep a pre-mix without sour mix chilled. This is something I do
with all the liquors even though they'd last years or even decades due
to their amount of alcohol. It's generally a good idea to keep all
liquid ingredients cool because otherwise a fair amount of the ice you
put into the shaker will dissolve during the shaking, resulting in
watery drinks.

In a nutshell: I'd always try to mix a Long Island Ice Tea fresh even
when it's a little annoying due to the five different liquors involved.
But this drink is so splendid that it deserves a little bit of extra
effort.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;