Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default NY Times Article On Dangers Of Sous Vide Cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Okay, if I'm reading this correctly, Sous Vide basically means they are
> packaging and then cooking the food in sealed "boil'n bags".

"Retortable pouches" to the trade. Same plastic, different application.

> I see no reason to think this is upscale or gourmet cooking since the Jolly
> Green Giant has been doing this with frozen food for years

No. They haven't been doing sous vide. Different concept.

As for food
> safety, why wouldn't it be?

It isn't done at boiling temperatures. It's much lower and for a long
time. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide>

Recipe and technique illustrated.
<http://starchefs.com/events/studio/techniques/ASusi/index.shtml>

Pastorio