Posted to alt.food.wine
Ian Hoare Ian Hoare is offline

Default Question re cooking & sugar levels.

Salut/Hi Anders Tørneskog,

le/on Thu, 9 Mar 2006 21:20:14 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>> BTW, isn't "duck foir gras" some sort of oxymoron? Or maybe that's a
>> malapropism?

To be pedantic, it's simply wrong!!

>Duck? Thought it used to be goose.

Goose is more traditional because you get more liver for your bird. However
duck liver is becoming more and more popular, though that's mainly in south
west France. I think that Alsace still fattens more geese than ducks, but
I'd not want to be quoted on that.

>geese in Alsace, but, of course, you can have the liver from ducks and then
>will have to call it "fois gras de canard" or something like that. Hello
>Ian, you there?

Fois no. Foie yes.

So either fattened duck or goose liver or else foie gras de canard and foie
gras d'oie. But I beg you, not duck foir or goose fois! (Just me being a
pedant) If you want however, you could call it Libamaj (which is hungarian
for fattened goose liver) which is where quite a lot of foie gras d'oie is
actually fattened.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare