Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default NY Times Article On Dangers Of Sous Vide Cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:
> NEW YORK REGION | March 9, 2006
> Chefs Looking for Tenderness Meet Tough New York Rules
> By DANA BOWEN
> New York City's health department is cracking down on a French cooking
> method that the city says has not been approved for restaurants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/ny... 070&emc=eta1

Okay, if I'm reading this correctly, Sous Vide basically means they are
packaging and then cooking the food in sealed "boil'n bags".

I see no reason to think this is upscale or gourmet cooking since the Jolly
Green Giant has been doing this with frozen food for years As for food
safety, why wouldn't it be?

Jill