Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default NY Times Article On Dangers Of Sous Vide Cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>
>>NEW YORK REGION | March 9, 2006
>>Chefs Looking for Tenderness Meet Tough New York Rules
>>By DANA BOWEN
>>New York City's health department is cracking down on a French cooking
>>method that the city says has not been approved for restaurants.
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/ny... 070&emc=eta1
>>

> I don't subscribe at the moment to Yahoo Foodsaver group, but did when I got
> my foodsaver. I wonder if this is going to worry the home cooks and those
> using the vacuum machines.

Home cooks can't do sous vide cooking. It demands extremely rigid
temperature control for protracted periods of cooking.

Putting bags of vacuumed foods in boiling water isn't sous vide. And it
presents none of the hazards of low-temperature vacuum-bag cooking.

> I don't boil anything in the plastic bags, nor microwave in plastic.

The bag material is designed for boiling.

Pastorio