Posted to rec.food.sourdough
hutchndi hutchndi is offline

Default Rubbery Texture?

"northwestsourdough.com" > wrote

I think the pictures on my site prove
> my technique isn't garbage. Also, it is easy, I don't have to go to any
> special trouble to get a holey crumb.I think people like an easy
> method, I know I do.
> Teresa

My apologies, I am guilty of prejudice in being short with you, as you pay
no attention to request to remove your link, until this last reply anyways.
Since you replied without the offending link, which does offend many here no
matter what a few odd defenders might say, perhaps we should discuss your
post:

"Letting it sit for 30 minutes wouldn't give enough time to let the
gluten do its thing. Your first proof should be 4-6 hours or longer
depending on what you are trying to accomplish. "

"Letting it sit for 30 minutes" is not her "first proof", and is the key to
the no-knead method spoken of here, pay attention to the threads, as
alphabetgirl is trying to do. There has been mention of Tom,Dick,and Harry
giving advice. I have not been doing this long, but wildly different advice
from posters have mede my experience less than wonderful. The best advice I
have gotten here is to read and follow advice in Jeffery Hamelman's Bread
book (which contains info on this gluten developing "rest" period), and I
believe that has been the key to success, if I read this book and payed
attention in the beginning I probably would not have needed this newsgroup
thereafter. You have a link to this book on your site, and I suggest you
purchase it yourself. After reading you basic recipe on your site, I can
vouch that Hamelmans is as easy in not easier, if thats what is important.

I might add that along with that book, King Arthur Flour has an (short but
good) Artisan Bread DVD. It is not about sourdough, uses a small (or so it
says) amount of commercial yeast in fact to make the featured breads, but
was a great help to me in seeing what wet dough should really look and
handle like, shaping, stretch and folds, and steps of which are better
viewed than described in print. They sell sourdough starter too, so I will
not provide a link....

hutchndi