Posted to alt.food.vegan
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Cooking technique

I like to to serve good food that is according to the tastes and preferences
of my guests. If I am to cook vegetarian food without eggs I have some
problems with technique. This is probably due to my lack of experience in
vegetarian cooking so I am asking the more experienced for help.

Eggs are useful in binding foods as the protein coalgulates on cooking. For
example vegetable patties, rissoles and slices are going to be harder to
keep cohesive with no eggs.

Similarly eggs act as an emulsifying agent allowing one to bind oily and
watery components together in sauces and dressings (with or without
cooking). Dairy products can also bind sauces but such are also eschewed.
You can bind sauces in some cases using vegetable purees and with starches
but these rather limit your scope and will add flavours that may not be
desired in all situations.

Egg foams are also the basis of a number classes of foods, many (but not
all) are desserts and treats. One can give up such things altogether in the
name of health but even those who take great care with their diet may want
to have a small indulgence sometimes on special days.

Can I do these sorts of things without eggs or dairy (if so how) or does
cooking vegan mean certain techniques, and hence certain classes of foods,
are not possible? .

David